Travel Award Guidelines for the 46th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society
The 46th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) offers Travel Awards to enthusiastic, leading, non-Japanese neuroscientists traveling from abroad to present high-quality papers at the meeting. Applications from young principal investigators and senior postdoctoral fellows, also from Asian-Pacific countries are especially encouraged.
The amount of the funding for travel will be between 40,000–150,000 JPY per award.
The 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS will pay attention regarding the 2022, 2021, and 2020 Travel Awardees whose travels were canceled and who were unable to visit Japan due to COVID-19 pandemic. Should the 2022, 2021, and 2020 Travel Awardees submit a NEW abstract for consideration for the 2023 application, we would be happy to consider as a candidate of the award. In all cases, the excellence of the submitted scientific abstract will be an absolute prerequisite.
- The annual meeting registration fee is waived only for successful applicants.
- Recipients receive partial support for travel expenses (airfare from the recipient's country of residence to Japan, and domestic transportation fees in Japan).
- Accommodation will be provided for recipients from July 31st (check-in) to August 4th, (check-out): four nights, single-room.
- Recipients are invited to the *International Exchange Meeting for Young Researchers on July 31st.
*To facilitate interaction among young researchers from abroad and Japan, all recipients are invited to this mandatory event.
Registration for the 46th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society
Applicants for Travel Award (TA) need not register to participate in the annual meeting at the time of application for TA. This is because awardees will be exempt from the registration fee for the annual meeting, while unsuccessful applicants need to register with payment; therefore, successful and unsuccessful applicants are under different registration category. TA applicants can make a registration once results decided. Unsuccessful applicants can also submit an abstract for the annual meeting until the submission deadline, February 8, 2023 at 12:00 in JST, after results decided, if they hope to do so.
For details, please follow the TA application instruction.
All presenters need to hold membership of the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS); however, TA applicants need not be a member of the JNS at the time of application for TA. This is because awardees will be exempt from the admission and first year's annual membership fees, while unsuccessful applicants need to pay for them. After results announced, membership application instruction will be sent to awardees. Once the awardees received, they can make membership applications by following the instruction. On the other hand, unsuccessful applicants who intend to submit abstracts make presentation at the annual meeting need to make general application for membership.
Ineligible for this application
- Symposium speakers
- Other grant recipients related to the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS
- Applicants who are applying via other Neuroscience Affiliations (This means that if you have already applied for the Travel Award for participation in the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS organized by FENS, SfN, or other neuroscience societies, you cannot apply for this award organized by JNS duplicately.)
*Applicants from the following countries must apply for the Travel Award through their home Neuroscience Affiliations: China, South Korea, India, and Iran.
Each society has set their own deadline date and guideline. Applicants shall follow their instructions.
For further information, please contact the office of your society below:
China: the Chinese Neuroscience Society
South Korea: the Korean Society for Brain and Neural Science (KSBNS)
India: Indian Academy of Neurosciences (IAN)
Iran: the Iranian Neuroscience Society (INS)
- Once your application has been accepted, the Travel Award selection committee will determine the appropriate amount of support.
- The amount of the Travel Award will not be increased under any circumstances.
- Each recipient must bear any additional expenses.
- We will notify recipients of the time and place at which the award money and certificate will be given during the International Exchange Meeting for Young Researchers.
- The stay at the designated hotel will only be covered from July 31st (check-in) to August 4th (check-out). Recipients must bear all expenses if they stay at hotels of their own choice or stay extra nights.
Please contact the 46th Annual Meeting Secretariat with any inquiries or concerns regarding hotel bookings at email@example.com.
- Attendance, and oral or poster presentation at the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS are mandatory. Award recipients who do not attend the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS and do not deliver a presentation will have their award revoked.
- A main author is only eligible to receive the Travel Award.
- Participants can only give one oral or poster presentation at the meeting as the first author.
- All presenters at the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS must be an official member of the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS).
- Upon acceptance, the JNS office will contact successful applicants and provide instructions for membership registration. Please register for membership after you receive it.
For participants who require a visa
- Participants who require a visa must obtain the visa themselves.
- The meeting organizers will provide necessary visa documents upon request. With the documents we provide, we support your stay only for the 4-day conference plus 3 days. Please contact the 46th Annual Meeting Secretariat with any inquiries or concerns regarding visa applications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply for the Travel Award
Please read the following instructions and go to the application site.
1. Prepare the following four documents.
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Copy of your passport (only the page where the photograph of your face appears)
- Abstract for the 46th Annual Meeting presentation
For details regarding abstract format, please see the Call for Papers section in the Annual Meeting website.
2. Register these documents on the Travel Award Registration site.
3. Letters of Recommendation
- Graduate students/Postdoctoral fellows:
Ask referees for the letters of recommendation. Two letters of recommendation should be sent to the JNS Secretariat
(email@example.com) directly by the recommenders, not by the applicant.
One of (two) letters must be from the applicant’s current supervisor.
The letter should be no more than one page in length.
Fill in your referees' names and contacts information on the Travel Award Registration site.
- Young principal investigators/Senior postdoctoral fellows: No recommendation letter is required.
Registration: December 1st, 2022 to January 11st, 2023 at 5pm JST
Timeline for the 46th Annual Meeting of the JNS (tentative)
Notification to Travel Award Winners
Confirmation of attendance
Completion of Society Membership application (for successful applicants only)
VISA application and accommodation information provided
Notification of presentation schedule and format